Re: Freeze Please?

At Sat, 8 Feb 2003 15:14:56 +1000,
Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:15:43AM -0500, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Of the three bugs, one is recent, one is barely over a week old, but the
> > m68k problem is a month old. OK, so it *is* making progress, so perhaps
> > it's not as bad as it appears to be.
>
> The m68k problem is *probably* fixed or downgradable, I'm told. The "relocation
> error" bugs that're popping up probably aren't fixed.

Yes, it's already fixed in my environment.  I second to downgrade its
severity to important or something.  I plan to dupload new m68k
gcc-3.2 if my build and check is completed.

The problem is that the buildd of crest.debian.org is something old
environment, and building gcc always causes the problem.  I don't have
any accounts for kullervo.debian.org, so kullervo may be not same, but
it seems it's woody.  I'm borrowing sid m68k machine account from
ISHIKAWA Mutsumi (thanks for his great contribution!), and building
gcc.

Toolchain like gcc/glibc sometimes needs the latest development
environment.  We glibc maintainers have a labor to build and check
such minor architecture.

Moreover, m68k is too slow to develop.  It's another problem.

In addition, it's not only m68k but also mips/mipsel, arm, ...
Especially, there are not developer's machine for mips/mipsel.  If you
want to drop m68k, I think we should drop mips/mipsel in first, not
m68k (I'm sorry for mips/mipsel maintainers, who are working greatly,
but it's true that there are no mips/mipsel machine!).

At last, I can say glibc 2.3.1-12 fixes all RC bugs except for license
issue!  Please test the next glibc and report your bugs.

Regards,
-- gotom