Re: Freeze Please?

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 03:06:50PM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Just out of curiosity: how many people actually *use* Debian on m68k on a
> > regular basis? I was talking with Jeff Bailey IRL a few weeks ago, and he
> > mentioned how, uhh, *fast*, m68k is.
>
> Well, my Amiga is still a lot faster than my PC, so I was using it
> regularly until the IDE controller blew up. I have replacement parts and
> a spare machine, so I might donate a fast buildd once my exams are over.

OK.

> > Does anyone actually use Debian/m68k
> > for serious purposes? If it's just a cool curiosity, then I propose we
> > disregard it for the purposes of getting libc into testing.
>
> Erm, the glibc bugs holding it up are one license issue and three bugs,
> on i386, m68k and sparc respectively.
[snip]

Well, I've been told that the license issue is probably going to be
ignored for the purposes of moving stuff into testing. (Unless that's no
longer true?)

Of the three bugs, one is recent, one is barely over a week old, but the
m68k problem is a month old. OK, so it *is* making progress, so perhaps
it's not as bad as it appears to be. When I get time this weekend, I'm
going to investigate #179781 and see if I can help to get it resolved.

I guess my original point was that the problem with m68k is that it takes
so long to build essential packages like gcc and glibc, which means that
every time there's a problem with m68k, everybody's held up for a couple
o' months. I wasn't suggesting to drop m68k altogether as some have
suggested, but just that it shouldn't hold up everybody else for the
purposes of moving stuff into testing.

Music critic: "That's an imitation fugue!"