Re: Freeze Please?

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 09:09:42PM -0600, Jeffrey Brite wrote:
> I seem to remember the project coordinator saying that Sarge wouldn't be
> released until the installer was finished.
>
> Also, if the new libc6 is going to cause all kinda of trouble, maybe it
> would be better to release Sarge before we have to deal with that.  Just
> a though.
[snip]

Probably not a good idea. Because of libc6, a lot of security fixes have
been held up, and I don't think we want to release testing as it is right
now. Sure, we can port the fixes to testing, but keep in mind that it's
already 3-4 months out of date. We *could* also recompile packages for the
old libc6; but this doesn't work for all of the packages without major
work, because of the C++ transition. There are probably a few other
roadblocks that limits the amount of packages that can be painlessly
backported to testing.

Rather than avoiding the problem, I think what we need are people who have
the expertise to *fix* the current libc6 problems. I've been trying to
help fix libc6 bugs, but I'm not familiar enough with the non-i386 archs
that the current serious/grave bugs involve. If anybody has experience in
these areas, I'm sure the glibc maintainers would be more than glad to
receive patches or other forms of help. (Well, excepting the license
problem, which probably isn't going to be resolved anytime soon; but I
believe that's not a requirement to get libc6 into testing?)

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
-- Sammy