On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 11:23:43PM -0800, Adam McKenna wrote:
> The only "social cost" that I've seen semi-effectively argued so far is that
> "some people think non-free is part of Debian".

What is unpersuasive about:

        Every day a non-free package is "better" than a free alternative
        (or no alternative at all) is a day in which less work is
        potentially done by Debian developers and others on a free
        alternative to create or improve it, a day in which there is
        less public clamor for such a tool, and a day in which there is
        less visible market need apparent to a company that may be
        willing to sponsor or underwrite the development of a free
        alternative in furtherance of its own ends.[1]

?

Is it your belief that most people in the Free Software community would
rather do nothing than work on Free Software?

> I've yet to see a compelling argument as to why the remedy for this
> particular problem is to remove non-free from our archive.

You don't think the inability of anyone to get non-free Debian packages
from a Debian archive site or mirror would dispel people's notions that
they can get non-free packages from "Debian"?

It strains my credulity, but I guess I will take you at your word.

[1] Message-ID: <[🔎] 20021113201917.GN21010@apocalypse.deadbeast.net>

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Exercise your freedom of religion.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     Set fire to a church of your