On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 04:38:19PM -0800, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 06:05:38PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Tell that to the folks who imply that John is hypocritical for doing so,
> > and use that ad homimem implication as a means of attempting to
> > undermine support for the General Resolution.  (The implication being
> > that John Is A Bad Person for Telling Us To Do As He Says And Not As He
> > Does, and Therefore What He Says Must Be As Bad As He Is.)
>
> Really?  When coming from John himself, I interpret it more like a
> patronizing, "a lot of my friends are black" type statement.  And when I see
> him use it that way, it becomes abundantly clear to me why he has left his
> non-free packages in the archive.

I don't understand what you're saying at all.  Can you be a little more
clear?

> > So, it is your contention that Debian is operating something like a
> > public utility by distributing (some) packages that do not meet the
> > Debian Free Software Guidelines.
> >
> > That is a perspective that should be elaborated upon.
>
> Water, electricity and gas are utilities.  Hot water is not.  You fail in
> your attempt at purposely missing my point.

<scratches head>  So I inadvertently succeeded in grasping your point?

I beg to differ, because now you have confused me further.

> Debian adds value to itself by distributing non-free.

Debian the Project or Debian the GNU/Linux distribution?

> We would be both devaluing Debian, and acting against the needs of our
> users (which are supposed to be paramount) by removing non-free.

Well, no:

# Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software

Perhaps you should propose an alternative General Resolution where we
eliminate the last three words and related language from the Social
Contract.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Mob rule isn't any prettier just
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      because you call your mob a