Re: URLs on debian.org/distrib/packages pages

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Josip Rodin wrote:

> Or, what we have stated already, put an URL anywhere in the Description:
> field and it will be linked.
>
> It does seem like a useful place, for other things that interpret
> description fields... e.g. one could have a dselect-like program to browse
> around the packages and be able to click through the links and start web
> browsers... no need to drag out the copyright file (which is within the
> package, not in the meta data).
Great idea to fire up a browser from an apt frontend!!!

But I would vote for an extra control field instead of "anywhere in the
Description", because this would enable us to add lintian checks once
this is included into policy (which hopefully will not be in a far
distance).

I'm just practicising this in my packages using an "XBCS-URL:" field
since the two or three discussions before with the very same topic.
(Search the archives for more than enough references.)

Kind regards

       Andreas, waiting for the ususal reply: "Are you volunteering?"