Re: Dissatisfied w/Debian? Make something 'pure'.

Joseph Carter writes:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 11:26:26AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

> It was IMO a very stupid idea.  Debian is about free software and having a
> good distribution.  Nowhere in those goals does hiding non-free from our
> users fit in.  I said then (and still believe now) that if we are to have
> non-free software in Debian - let us have it then.  If we will not have
> it, let us not have it.

It's interesting to note that we do agree here, on this thread.

> John wants us to not have it.  Good idea, seems though like there are a
> number of technical issues (and a lot of screaming people who aren't
> talking about them much) keeping that from happening.  Anthony's
> suggestion is much cleaner, even if the results aren't immediate.

I must say that I don't really understand how could moving non-free to
under a different host and hiding non-free from sources.list change
things. Freedom by obscurity.

> There are a lot of free software supporters out there.  We don't agree on
> methods or sometimes even ideology.  But we all agree that free software
> is a good thing - a very important thing.  And we agree that free software
> is right.  Beyond that, we may or may not agree.  John and I have
> disagreements over the bsdish style of licensing as I recall, but we both
> firmly agree that anything done which makes non-free software unnecessary
> is a good, real, and lasting benefit to everyone.

I think free software is a good, and an important, thing, but I don't
think non-free software is a bad thing.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -w -- Ari Makela <hauva@iki.fi> - http://www.iki.fi/hauva/
use strict;my $j=Japh->new();$j->print();package Japh;sub new{my $c=shift;