Re: Dissatisfied w/Debian? Make something 'pure'.

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 12:52:26AM -0700, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > > Not if the DSFG were changed.  Redefining terms ("free") is a powerful
> > > tool of propaganda ... for good and for bad.
> >
> > Slippery slope fallacy.
>
> Slippery slope, yes.  Fallacy?  Remains to be seen.

Somebody was asleep in logic class.

> > You're accusing me (by stereotype) of a position I do not hold.
>
> I wasn't thinking of you when I was writing.  I can't help it if you
> see yourself in a description of unnamed third parties.

Your third parties are pretty clear: anyone supporting this GR.  I support
it.  At this point I support Anthony's other proposal more for purely
practical reasons (Anthony's proposal doesn't break contrib needlessly)
but I feel that something is necessary.

> > > The DSFG is, essentially, an arbitrary standard.  It's a *good*
> > > arbitrary standard, I think.  But can you really expect it to stand
> > > without challenge once it is the only obstacle to making the Debian
> > > project more, more, ever more ideologically pure?  I can't.
> >
> > Good gods will you STOP already?
>
> The GR isn't dead yet.  ("I'm not dead yet!  I'm feeling better!")

Bah, even John is skeptical of the likelyhood the GR's passage.  He's not
very happy with the REASONS it likely won't (and neither am I)..  I'm far
more concerned with the issue of being able to change the social contract
and DFSG with a simple majority (something I intend to try and correct
when this nonsense is over with) and the technical problems associated
with chopping off the connection between contrib and non-free without
regard for the resulting contrib section.

Still, it beats other proposals such as the one Wichert and RMS wanted to
see happen where non-free is left on the archive, but is essentially
unavailable unless you look for it.  I said then and say now:  Either we
acknowledge we have non-free software or we get rid of it.  Anthony's
suggestion that we move non-free to a new location is a good alternative
and has the desired effect of making it clear that non-free (and contrib
for that matter) are THERE, but aren't part of Debian.

John's not happy with it, but he's far more of a purist than I am.  Don't
lump the lot of us together.

Nothing is a problem once you debug the code.
        -- John Carmack