Re: Dissatisfied w/Debian? Make something 'pure'.

According to Joseph Carter:
> Several messages in this thread can be tied to developers who wish
> to relax the DFSG so their favorite software can get into Debian.

I don't recall any discussion of requests to relax the DFSG.  Was it
not on debian-devel, or have I not been paying enough attention?
(After all, KDE isn't a DFSG issue, it's a license-conflict issue.)

> You argue that people like John should not be able to change the
> project's focus like that - so why should you be able to?

Um, I'm not trying to change it.  I'm suggesting that it should remain
as it is: Creating and promoting free software while simultaneously
providing infrastructure for non-free software as needed by users.

Or have I missed your point?

> I see two forces, both would rather tear Debian in half than see
> things continue as they are today.  Know what?  One of them is
> likely to do just that sooner or later.

I honestly don't see a less-free movement as being nearly as dangerous
to Debian as the more-free movement.  Pragmatism doesn't fire up
enthusiasm like zealous purity does, and misdirected enthusiasm is a
lot more destructive than apathy.

 "We can't win against obsession.  They care, we don't.  They win."
        -- Ford Prefect, as written by Douglas Adams

> > Of course, almost no one would use GNU Purity [not tm [yet]].  And it
> > would always be in flux, because RMS is prone to change his definition
> > of "free" from time to time.
>
> It has nothing to do with RMS.  If you think I support this because RMS
> would, you are SADLY mistaken.

I'm making the point that lots of DFSG-free software isn't RMS-free.
So once zealots have lopped off non-free and contrib, what's next?
I believe that they won't stop until everything non-GPL is gone.  So
let's just hold the line where it is and carry on.

> That said, I've watched people try to push Debian off its free
> software center ever sense I joined the project.

Well, from what I've read, usability was Debian's original center.
Free software was a tail that eventually wagged the dog.  I'm not
complaining, because I like Debian how it is.  But it's a bit odd to
protest that someone shouldn't steal a project from you, because you
stole it fair and square.
--
Chip Salzenberg              - a.k.a. -              <chip@valinux.com>