Re: Locations of ftp, httpd and named directories

Hi Bernhard,

[Cc'ing Stephan Seyboth (iirc he maintains apache for Caldera) as well
as the maintainers of bind, proftpd and apache, wuftpd respectively]

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 07:16:54PM +0200, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

> like you've probably read, the new FHS wants the root directories for www,
> anonymous ftp and DNS moved out of /home, where many Linux distributions
> used to keep it.

Good.

> We're currently fixing up Red Hat Linux to comply - but we'd like to have
> standard locations rather than yet another "every distribution picks their
> own favorite", so I'd like to discuss the locations with you.

Interesting. So FHS says "ServerRoot should not be in /home" but does not
tell where it should be? Nice standard ;-)

> We're currently planning to go for /var/ftp (some of the BSDs are using
> this, so it's probably a compatible choice), /var/www (simple analogy to
> ftp - I haven't seen this in use anywhere though, so if anyone has a

Debian has the following (correct me if I am wrong):

http: /var/www
ftp:  /home/ftp (wuftpd asks, proftpd just uses this)
bind: /etc/bind for configuration files, /var/cache/bind for database files
generated by bind (this should perhaps move to /var/lib!?)

> better suggestion, that's ok with me) and /var/named (we've been using
> this all the time).
>
> Please let me know if these locations are ok with you.

I think it would be nice to group ftp and http access into /var/lib
or /var/local because I don't think that www and ftp really fit into
the /var subdirectories (lib, local, www!?)

Just an idea. What do others think?

cu
    Torsten

--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member