Re: Dissatisfied w/Debian? Make something 'pure'.

Joseph Carter wrote:

> I said then and say now:  Either we
> acknowledge we have non-free software or we get rid of it.  Anthony's
> suggestion that we move non-free to a new location is a good alternative
> and has the desired effect of making it clear that non-free (and contrib
> for that matter) are THERE, but aren't part of Debian.

I *really* was going to stay out of this, being a non-DD, but your
statement above really mystifies me:

Currently, non-free *is* acknowledged, right?  It's acknowledged in the
Social Contract; it's acknowledged when the install asks if you want
sources.list to point to non-free; it's acknowledged here:

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

which I imagine to be the starting point for most folks loading Debian
off the web.

The Social Contract and that page also both clearly mention that
non-free is not part of the Debian distribution.

So the existence is acknowledged and the non-Debian nature of it is
acknowledged.  Seems really, really clear and very apt (no pun intended)
to me, at least.

Given your concerns, how are they not currently addressed?  Why the
necessity for any change whatsoever based on these concerns?

Now JG's concerns are different, I guess.  And radical (in the true
sense of the word), and probably thus impervious to any argument I could
make.