Re: Quake is GPL

On Sun, Dec 26, 1999 at 02:22:55PM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> On 99-12-26 Raul Miller wrote:
> > So how about volunteering to contact those ftp maintainers and let
> > them know about their governments' laws?
>
> And how has enough knowledge to do this? For example here in Germany you
> need to be a lawyer to really understand all the laws and to decide what
> you could have on your FTP-Server and what not.

So get a German lawyer to decide this, and let us know the results.
Or play it safe, and stop mirroring quake and other packages that
you expect to bring you problems.

Why do you keep expecting that the author/maintainer of a package will
know your country's laws better than you do?  I would certainly not
risk giving such legal advice myself.  Who knows, Lintian may be illegal
in Verweggistan for some reason.

Richard Braakman