Re: Quake is GPL

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Christian Kurz wrote:

> current laws here in germany and then maybe close the FTP-Server just
> because it may be illegal to distribute quake and the FTP-Server is
> located at the firm, where I work. So plese don't upload software in the
> debian-archives, that is/could be illegal in some countries.

You know, I was thinking about packages being illegal in various
countries, and it's something of a knotty problem -- but I think I came up
with a solution.

How about a virtual package, "task-legal-germany" or something, that
conflicts with all the packages that the Debian developers believe
are illegal by the named nation?

So "task-legal-brazil" could conflict with lxdoom, while
"task-legal-germany" dislikes wolf3d and, for all I know,
"task-legal-china" could conflict with gpg or something. [Not that I know
if it does or not.]

You'd have to put a disclaimer saying that the Debian developers were only
making a good-faith effort to keep task-legal-* up to date, I bet. But
there'd be nothing stopping somebody from removing the package, and all
its nasty conflicts, if they felt like it.

How does that sound?

Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@fastlane.net>