Re: Quake is GPL

On 99-12-25 Raul Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 25, 1999 at 10:00:41AM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > Hm, I don't think that the FTP-Maintainer should really take care
> > about this, because they are also not lawyers and I'm not interested
> > to ask my lawyer for every program on the server, if it's legal or
> > not. If I set up an mirror, I want to mirror the whole stuff and let
> > the author/maintainer of those stuff make sure, that everything is
> > legal. So I think the suggestion of Raul is a good solution for both
> > sides.

> Well, the ftp maintainer and the mirror maintainers would have to to
> implement any sort of "distributed distribution" solution.  [And, it
> occurs to me that German sites, if they had problems, could simply exclude
> from mirroring and package which has the name of a problematic package.]

Yeah but this put's more load on the FTP- and Mirror-Maintainer and I
think they are not quite happy about this extra load. So why can't we
use a solution like we did with qmail?

> The only "master" server in Germany is the non-US site, so the only
> requirement for packages legal in the US but not legal in Germany is

Non, non-US is standing in the netherlands and not in Germany.

> It would be polite to inform them of this issue (given German persecution
> of the Compuserve guy for Compuserve content).  [It was Compuserve,
> right?]

Yes, but he Compuserve-Guy has been declared unguilty and also you can't
compare those two cases.

Ciao
     Christian
* Christian Kurz                          Debian Developer/QA-Team *
*               Use Debian - a free Operating System               *