Re: Quake is GPL

On 99-12-25 Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 25, 1999 at 07:13:37PM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > > Well, the ftp maintainer and the mirror maintainers would have to to
> > > implement any sort of "distributed distribution" solution.  [And, it
> > > occurs to me that German sites, if they had problems, could simply exclude
> > > from mirroring and package which has the name of a problematic package.]
> >
> > Yeah but this put's more load on the FTP- and Mirror-Maintainer and I
> > think they are not quite happy about this extra load. So why can't we
> > use a solution like we did with qmail?

> I've tried to be nice in this discussion.  I'm no longer trying.

> I WILL NOT CRIPPLE MY QUAKE PACKAGES TO SATISFY THE STUPIDITY INHERENT IN
> THE LAWS OF EXACTLY TWO COUNTRIES IN THE ENTIRE WORLD THAT I KNOW OF.  I
> CONSIDER THE LAWS THEMSELVES CENSORSHIP AT THEIR CORE AND THEREFORE
> MORALLY REPREHENSIBLE.

> Is that perhaps a little clearer?

I never said that someone should cripple a package. Stop assuming things
that I don't say. And also I'm not talking about censorship. I'm just
reminding you that some FTP-Maintainer may stand half in jail because
they don't have the  f****ng time to go through the whole debian archive
for excluding every software that's illegal in their country. We should
provide them with a possible solution for excluding such a software,
because you can change a government in one day or because some people
think they are more important.

Ciao
     Christian

P.S.: I wonder what you would do if you are such a maintainer who could
be with half an leg in jail.
* Christian Kurz                          Debian Developer/QA-Team *
*               Use Debian - a free Operating System               *