Re: Quake is GPL

On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 12:44:26PM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:

> No, this won't solve the problem, as the software which is illegal
> would still reside on the FTP-Server and so you still have the problem
> which I described above. And I will definitiv shut down the new mirror
> as soon as quake is in the archive and my lawyer says, that it's
> illegal.

wouldn't it be better to just put an exclude rule in your mirror script?

sure, maintaining exclude rules might be a PITA, but you can't expect
every developer in every country to know what programs are illegal in
every other country in the world...in other words, keeping track of this
has to be the responsibility of the ftp site operator(s) concerned.

as long as you're making a good faith effort to comply with the laws
of your country (e.g. exclude banned material from your mirror run
as soon as you become aware of it) then it is unlikely that you will
be prosecuted and even less likely that you would be successfully
prosecuted. of course, i am not a lawyer so this is not legal advice :)
- it's just common sense.

craig

--
craig sanders