Re: Quake is GPL

On 99-12-25 Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 12:44:26PM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:

> > No, this won't solve the problem, as the software which is illegal
> > would still reside on the FTP-Server and so you still have the problem
> > which I described above. And I will definitiv shut down the new mirror
> > as soon as quake is in the archive and my lawyer says, that it's
> > illegal.

> wouldn't it be better to just put an exclude rule in your mirror script?

No, I think setting up a dedicated server as Raul suggested would be
a good solution. Or we provide the user with an installer-script like we
do with qmail. I think those are both possibel and also legal
solutions.

> sure, maintaining exclude rules might be a PITA, but you can't expect
> every developer in every country to know what programs are illegal in
> every other country in the world...in other words, keeping track of this
> has to be the responsibility of the ftp site operator(s) concerned.

Hm, I don't think that the FTP-Maintainer should really take care about
this, because they are also not lawyers and I'm not interested to ask my
lawyer for every program on the server, if it's legal or not. If I set
up an mirror, I want to mirror the whole stuff and let the
author/maintainer of those stuff make sure, that everything is legal. So
I think the suggestion of Raul is a good solution for both sides.

> as long as you're making a good faith effort to comply with the laws
> of your country (e.g. exclude banned material from your mirror run
> as soon as you become aware of it) then it is unlikely that you will
> be prosecuted and even less likely that you would be successfully
> prosecuted. of course, i am not a lawyer so this is not legal advice :)
> - it's just common sense.

Some parts of it may be right, but I think it's not okay to put this
burden on the FTP-Maintainer that set up for free mirrors and spend some
time on this. I for myself don't have enough time to maintain excludes
rules good and so I would exclude every part of the game-section, which
can't be the right solution. And as an FTP-Maintainer wants to provide a
full mirror and works mostly in his free time on the server and the
mirror-script, I think we should not too many load on them and instead
find a solution insight our project.

Ciao
     Christian
* Christian Kurz                          Debian Developer/QA-Team *
*               Use Debian - a free Operating System               *