Re: calling Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 12:08:07AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Given that email is pretty much a requirement for developers, are you
> > saying I don't have the right to be a developer because I cannot afford a
> > better ISP?  I most certainly hope you're not.
>
> No, he's not saying that at all. He's saying that Debian could
> require you to use a mail relay. You have one available, you choose
> not to use it.
>
> My ISP provides a web proxy, and has their routers configured not
> to route port 80, to force me to use their proxy. I can choose not
> to use it, but then I can't browse the web. It's the same situation.

The difference is that you would have known this when you were signing
up.  This is after I've been using the provider for now 9 months, a
requirement being imposed by someone else entriely.

p.s. - i'm about *this* close to running around in the server room with a
pair of bolt cutters, and a large wooden mallet, laughing like a maniac and
cutting everything i can fit the bolt cutters around. and whacking that
which i cannot. so if i seem semi-incoherent, or just really *really* nasty
at times, please forgive me. stress is not a pretty thing. };P
        -- Phillip R. Jaenke