Re: calling Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 12:08:07AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 06:32:32AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > Given that email is pretty much a requirement for developers, are you
> > saying I don't have the right to be a developer because I cannot afford a
> > better ISP?  I most certainly hope you're not.
>
> No, he's not saying that at all. He's saying that Debian could
> require you to use a mail relay. You have one available, you choose
> not to use it.

err, i didn't say that at all (although i must admit that i am in favour
of the idea).

i wasn't even thinking about debian's mail servers during this thread. i
was talking about my mailserver in part, but mostly about the right of
people running mailservers to decide where or who they will accept mail
from.

there are hundreds if not thousands of mail servers around the world who
are choosing not to receive mail direct from dialup ip addresses. more
are making this choice all the time. if joseph and branden and others
wish to communicate with people using these servers, then they will have
to use their ISP's relay or make other arrangements (e.g. ssh tunnel to
somewhere, uucp over tcp, etc) to use a non-dialup IP mail relay.

if they choose not to do this, that is their prerogative but they should
accept the consequences of that choice and not whinge about it.

craig

--
craig sanders