Re: calling Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 05:30:14PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > I do not relay.  My ISP runs NT on its mail server.  I want my mail
> > delivered and unmangled.  I would be greatly offended if my email
> > started getting rejected simply because I don't have a relay set up
> > (especially given that I'm running a Linux workstation here and don't
> > NEED a relay to get my mail safely to where it belongs.)
>
> if your ISP provides a lousy service then vote with your feet.

I use this provider because I can afford them.  $14.95 a month is what I
pay and I get unlimited connection time (no hidden anything---I can
literally pull off a week long connection, telco switching permitting
(it's not of course, I get connections as long as 30 hours or as short as
7 minutes..)

If you can find a similar arrangement with any other ISP with a local
access number that has a stable mail server, talk to me!  Otherwise, go
away.  Unless of course you're offering to pay whatever another provider
would charge me for the same service---it's not a pretty sight.

> > A demonstration that filtering mail based on IP is a Bad Plan.  The
> > spammers have adapted to it.  So you want to filter more IPs.
>
> wrong. it's not a bad plan because it works.

Yes, it does a nice job of filtering every single message I send!
EXCELLENT work.

> a minor inconvenience to a handful of people like you and branden (both
> of you have enough of a clue to route around any inconvenience) does not
> even begin to compare with the major network damage caused by spammers.

"minor"...  It would result in me being unable to send mail, period.
This is NOT MINOR.

> dialup IP addresses are abused by spammers in many ways. the most
> obvious is the whack-a-mole spammer, who churns through numerous
> throw-away dialup accounts. they also abuse dialup systems by hunting
> for and taking advantage of clueless types running wingate or other
> badly configured lan gateway products.

My dialup account isn't throwaway.  Your solution is the same as shooting
all Arabs because Saddam Hussein is an Arab himself.

> > Not a chance in the abyss I will route my mail through my ISP.  Not
> > even a chance.
>
> that's your choice. i fully support your right to that choice.
>
> i also support MY choice, and that of many other people, to reject smtp
> connections coming from dialup IP addresses.

When you make that choice for yourself, that's fine---I don't care.  When
you make that choice for other people, I do care.

<kira> Ada, the only language written to milspec.
<Mikster> <shudder>