Re: DPLs : what do you think about ...

On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 09:53:40AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > Look, I am a *coder*. I am not a documentation person. What you're missing
> > is that this is a volenteer effort, and we work on what we want to work on.
> > If you make it so am unable to work on what I want to work on, I will not do
> > any work. It's that simple.
>
> You are not the only person on this project. Find other avenues of letting
> ppl use your features. Distribute it on #debian on irc. There are better
> ways to handle testing new features than forking unstable.

Slightly askew from topic, I almost wonder if webspace might not be a
better way to handle experimental packages than experimental.  I'm
certain someone will object to this, but experimental is kinda a
graveyard right now.  Not a high priority, but something to consider.

> > > Also this would ease alot of stress on mirrors (forking is a huge resource
> > > strain)
> >
> > No it's not. We just shange a symlink and add a new tree full of symlinks.
>
> So you are saying that potato is nothing more than symlinks to slink? 6
> gigs for potato and slink. That's a lot of symlinks :) I know initially it
> is symlinked. But as maintainers start uploading packages to just
> unstable, that size grows tremendously.

The upload of packages into potato is mostly automated.  It's frozen that
requires the manual work on the part of the ftp people.  The nicest way
to make life easier for mirrors is come up with a way to tell the mirrors
to move a directory from unstable to frozen to release without having to
delete and re-download things.

--
"Shall we play a game?"  -- WOPR