Re: DPLs : what do you think about ...

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 08:16:15PM -0500, Elie Rosenblum wrote:
> If he finds himself unable to keep frozen correct while doing unstable
> development, maybe his priorities are off; I am trying to avoid a few
> people hindering unstable development merely because a minority seem
> unable to cope with both.

I don't call trying to focus on fixing the 50+ (very small amount
currently)  showstoppers a hinderance to unstable, yet a hinderance to
frozen. This is a community effort, the maintainers as a whole should be
concerned with getting out a bug free dist. This should be foremost and
above doing simple upstream source releases. Most of the maintainers don't
author the source any way so development will still go on without a debian
package for a month or so till the bugs are fixed and deep freeze has
settled in.

We need to stop being so "package oriented" and start concentrating on the
distribution as a whole. Just because a maintainer has no bugs doesn't
mean he/she cannot help with other things if they so desire. If they are
not willing to help with the rest of the project during a freeze, I don't
think a full fork for an unstable is warranted just to fill their time.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org