Re: DPLs : what do you think about ...

Ben Collins wrote:
> Personally I am very disappointed in the "package" mindset of some
> developers. The thinking that there is nothing for a maintainer to do
> but build their packages. Most people joined Debian in hopes of being
> involved with a productive and well bonded community, not to spew out a
> few packages every so often.

It takes a large amount of time if people contribute more than
just a handful of packages.  If I reflect how much time I spend
on free projects I would get mad - if I should ever try to think
over it objectively.

Many maintainers only maintain a bunch of small packages and stay
off of political discussion on the lists.  This is a way for them
to contribute back.  From my experience with new-maintainer this
is also the main reason why they have joined the project.  Although
I feel that that people should be more involved in free software,
I have to accept on the other hand that many people are not able
to spend the needed amount of time on this issue.  They might have
a job that requires a large amount of energy, a family, maybe
children.

Not that many maintainers are able and want to spend a larger amount
of time on free software so that they can work politicaly and
organize projects.

The people who wanted to be involved in a bigger movement and want
to be hyper productive can go on.  They certainly do.  Just take a
look at Joey, James, Manoj, Hartmut and others who spend a large
amount of time on these issues.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Linux - the choice of a GNU generation

Please always Cc to me when answering on the lists.