Re: DPLs : what do you think about ...

And thus spake Ben Collins, on Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 07:17:58PM -0500:
> People should be concentrating on getting the frozen dist complete, not
> making changes to packages for unstable. If we do it this way, it is
> concievable that it wont be as long till deep freeze as it takes now. When
> deep freeze comes along, then we fork an unstable. If you don't have
> anything to do with your packages for frozen, take a break or pitch in
> with the "Bug Group" or help other maintainers get their packages bug
> free.

I would personally prefer the current system of longer freeze periods
that do not hinder the more productive maintainers - and I don't think
there's any evidence to suggest that holding off on creating unstable
will speed up release management in any way besides having these people
produce less and thus have less potential for bugs at the next release.

> What is there that says you can't release your software without a debian
> upload? It just means holding off till you can upload to the archive, but
> you can still work on it and still release it. Debian isn't a personal
> software releasing method, and non-debian packages shouldn't depend on it
> as such, you can't expect to force an entire fork for the sake of your
> release methods can you?
>
> Sounds kind of harshe i know, but the whole point is that frozen is top
> priority, and not giving it that priority is a grave mistake. With an
> immediate unstable fork, that priority is gone.

I don't believe that to be the case. If you do, perhaps you need to
change your own development priorities?

--
Elie Rosenblum                 That is not dead which can eternal lie,
http://www.cosanostra.net   And with strange aeons even death may die.