Re: RH and GNOME

Luis Francisco Gonzalez <luisgh@cogs.susx.ac.uk> writes:

> The problem with say imlib is that he refuses to change the major
> number even though the libraries are incompatible because it looks
> ugly...

You've *got* to be kidding.  What is wrong with these people?  If
that's really the reason.  I'm sure glad someone that lame's not in
charge of libc.

Assuming that the info in this thread's pretty accurate, I'm going to
have to reconsider how much faith I want to put in E.  I was
considering switching to it when was released, but now other
alternatives are looking better.  I want something with a reasonable
developer who works *with* others.

> Personally, I have am also very worried to see how more and more RH
> is taking control of major parts of Linux. Even if it is just
> visibility (which BTW I think it's not the only problem) they seem
> to _be_ GNOME. We used to house the CVS repository and we have
> committed money but are now clearly unimportant.  CVS is now housed
> by RH and the main developers are working for them.

This is nothing but good.  It means that people are getting paid to do
what they love, and programmers are getting paid not only for not
writing microsoft code, but for writing free software.  As far as I
know, RedHat has shown nothing but good intentions.

Furthermore, this just frees our resources for other things, and since
the whole ball of wax is GPLed, there's nothing they could do (even if
they wanted to, which I don't think they do) that we couldn't correct.