Re: RH and GNOME

On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 10:23:18AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> I'm not really upset about this because Debian is very slow at doing
> development.  When Debian was first formed, the idea was that we would
> do *no* development, that we would exclusively work to package up
> free software written by other people.  We've had to abandon that
> with dpkg and apt, but that's a whole different thread.

And I guess we will have to do more development as time passes. Easier
installations, integrated config systems, those are things that we have
to do on our own, as I don't see anyone coming from outside the Debian
project with a "linuxconf for Debian", or a new distrib-independent
install system. If we don't work on them ourselves we will lose the
technological lead, and with that we will lose one of our few advantages
over the other distros.
Have a look at the menu system, or the unified doc system. Do the other
distributions have something similar?

Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es