Re: RH and GNOME

Let me clear up a few things.

E and Imlib are in extreme beta.  Some might say alpha.  So it is a
moving target.  The changes to the soname should have been made.  Yes
Raster refused to do so.  What this meant was a new version of Imlib and
all using packages every month or so.  Not that big of a deal and should
not continue to happen.

As for the patches to E.  Raster and Mandrake believe that since I am
not using E the way they intended then I should edit it as I see fit.
They see no reason to incorporate the changes into E.  The released
tar.gz works for everyone who uses, and so do the rpms.  Why bother
modifiying just for me (us).  It is a pain.  Yes.  But it is not a big
one.

The reason I brought this thread up was because of the little things
that this implicates.  RedHat is now making the standards.  It matters
not that they release everything as GPL.  If we or anyone else uses
GNOME, we are playing by RH's rules.  Not everyone sees this as a
problem.  It may not BE a problem.  But it is darn scary to consider.

Everyone using GNOME is now a RH knockoff.  For the newbie, the only
reason to use another distribution is to get KDE.  So esssentially SuSE
and Redhat are now the only two of importance.  This iwhat bothers me.
We all use Apache, but we are not beholden to anyone but the Apache
group for it.  This is why Linus turned down an offer to work for RH or
SuSE.  He did not want anyone Linux dist owning the kernel.