Re: build-debian-cloud python version preview

2013/7/8 Anders Ingemann <anders@ingemann.de>
Hi everybody

The first preview release of my python version of the
build-debian-cloud bootstrapper is ready and available at
https://github.com/andsens/build-debian-cloud/tree/python

Thanks for the preview. I gonna have a look at the scripts. I plan to test it and add things for OpenNebula.

One remark however.
You put tasks and assets scripts in a provider dir (ec2 and future ones..).
this means that we will need to "clone" tasks that would be common to all providers.

Could the tasks be in a more global dir (possibly with sub dir for very specific tasks) like below (just for example)

tasks/
        -- bootstrap.py
        --/ec2
                --/ebs.py

Olivier

I would welcome any suggestions for improvement.
Keep in mind that this is not a stable release, a lot of polishing is
needed before that can happen.

Some of the features are:

* The desired image is configured entirely via a JSON manifest file
  * Manifests are validated by a json schemas
  * Support comments
* Proper support for different providers
* The task based system has been completely revamped
  * Higher granularity increases reusability of tasks across providers
  * Tasks are neatly organized into modules
  * A task dependency graph is built to determine the execution order
* Support for rollback actions if something fails
* Logfiles
* All output from invoked subprocesses is logged

This is version actually works (!), you can bootstrap an image by running
./build-debian-cloud manifests/ec2-ebs-pvm.manifest.json

Anders