Re: [GsoC] your latest commit of tasks_udd.py

Hi Akshita,

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 01:27:56PM +0530, Akshita Jha wrote:
> > $ tasks_udd.py debian-med
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "./tasks_udd.py", line 183, in <module>
> >     print >> f, template.generate(**data).render('xhtml')
> > UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe4' in
> position 1275: ordinal not in range(128)
> >

> Can you please confirm if you get this error on executing "./tasks.py
> debian-med" also ?

Confirm, yes, I get this as well with tasks.py.  :-(

> > I have some comments:  You have some commented print statements.
> > I think it would be more convinient if you simply would use
> >    logger.debug
> > for this.  I have the logger instance for this very purpose.
> >

> I have pushed this change to the repo,

OK.

> > I would also be in favour of using a different output dir for the new
> > code, say
> >
> >     /srv/blends.debian.org/www/med/tasks_udd
> >
> > for Debian Med.  The rationale is that we need to compare the output of
> > the old and the new script.
>
> This has also been committed pushed to the repo.

Fine.

> >  I would even think it would be a good idea
> > to write some kind of a test suite that does some automatic comparison
> > between old and new output.
>
> Yes. It is a good idea. I'll start working on this.

:-)

> > Finally my last observations about Python 3 in Debian convinced me that
> > we should try to use Python 3 instead of Python 2.  Debian does not
> > accept any new package that is Python 2 only.  The rationale is that
> > Python 2 support will be stopped inside the life cycle of the next
> > Debian release.  So we should probably think about this in advance.
> >

> I had thought about this earlier but I wanted to first complete rewriting
> tasks.py to use UDD. Since, this has almost been done, we can start
> exporting the code to Python 3.
>
> So, just to summarize:
> The below are the tasks, that now need to be done:

0) Solve encoding issue

> 1) Importing the prospective package information from the tasks files into
> UDD
> 2) Write test suite to compare the output of tasks.py and tasks_udd.py
> 3) Export blends code from python 2 to python 3
> 4) Make blends code pep8 compliant
> 5) Cleaning tasks_udd.py and blendstasktools_udd.py

Including 0) yes, that's the plan.  Since you asked in your other mail
about Python 3:  I do not mind when it is done but the final result
should be Python 3,