Re: [GsoC] your latest commit of tasks_udd.py

Hi Akshita,

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 03:17:50AM +0530, Akshita Jha wrote:
> > Fine if I get your commit.  If your commit problems might remain I'm
> > fine with forwarding format-patch formatted attachments.
>
> I have committed and pushed my changes to the repository.
> With this commit:
> i) The Unicode Error in earlier UDD dumps is hopefully

Hmmm, the hope did not fulfilled - at least on my side:

$ tasks_udd.py debian-med
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./tasks_udd.py", line 183, in <module>
    print >> f, template.generate(**data).render('xhtml')
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe4' in position 1275: ordinal not in range(128)

It might be better if you do more granular commits for each
separate problem.

> ii) After adding the missing joining condition you mentioned in your
> previous mail, there are no more any repetitive packages

Yes, this is solved.

> iiI) The packages are arranged in their proper sections

That's also fine.

> Can you please confirm and let me know if anything else is missing ?

I have some comments:  You have some commented print statements.
I think it would be more convinient if you simply would use
   logger.debug
for this.  I have the logger instance for this very purpose.

I would also be in favour of using a different output dir for the new
code, say

    /srv/blends.debian.org/www/med/tasks_udd

for Debian Med.  The rationale is that we need to compare the output of
the old and the new script.  I would even think it would be a good idea
to write some kind of a test suite that does some automatic comparison
between old and new output.

Finally my last observations about Python 3 in Debian convinced me that
we should try to use Python 3 instead of Python 2.  Debian does not
accept any new package that is Python 2 only.  The rationale is that
Python 2 support will be stopped inside the life cycle of the next
Debian release.  So we should probably think about this in advance.