Re: ARM kernel cross compilation issues for iMX53

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 04:40:53PM -0700, Mike Thompson wrote:
> I now have a functioning Debian Linux 3.2.12 kernel with the armhf runtime
> on my iMX53 Quick Start Board.  Attached below is a link to a compressed
> tar file containing the Debian packages to install a custom version of the
> kernel and a working u-boot compatible with the kernel.  Also included are
> notes and a boot directory containing the uImage and uInitrd that should
> help with bootstrapping your own armhf installation on an iMX53 Quick Start
> Board.
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~michael.p.thompson/mx5/debian_linux_3.2.12_mx5.tar.gz
>
> Please not that the kernel provided is quite minimal and I can only vouch
> that the serial port, ethernet, SATA interface and SD interface are
> working.  If you get VGA, USB and other peripherals works, please let me
> know.
>
> I would like to thank everyone in this thread for providing clues along the
> way that ultimately allowed me to get to a running system. Hopefully this
> collection of files will be useful to other people trying to get a recent
> Linux kernel and armhf runtime functioning on an iMX53 Quick Start Board.
> Let me know if you have any questions.

I am still trying to get the debian kernel build to do something.

This isn't doing much yet:

MX53LOCO U-Boot > setenv bootargs root=/dev/sda1 rw rootwait console=ttymxc0,${baudrate}
MX53LOCO U-Boot > sata init
AHCI 0001.0100 32 slots 1 ports 3 Gbps 0x1 impl SATA mode
flags: ncq stag pm led clo only pmp pio slum part
SATA Device Info:
S/N:             5SV6CHMY
Product model number: ST9160310AS
Firmware version: 0303
Capacity: 312581808 sectors
MX53LOCO U-Boot > ext2load sata 0:1 ${loadaddr} /boot/uImage-3.2.0-2-mx5
1979872 bytes read
MX53LOCO U-Boot > ext2load sata 0:1 0x71000000 /boot/uInitrd-3.2.0-2-mx5
4312970 bytes read
MX53LOCO U-Boot > bootm ${loadaddr} 0x71000000
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 70800000 ...
   Image Name:   uImage
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    1979808 Bytes = 1.9 MiB
   Load Address: 70800000
   Entry Point:  70800000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Image Name:   uImage
   Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    4312906 Bytes = 4.1 MiB
   Load Address: 71000000
   Entry Point:  71000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   XIP Kernel Image ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

And that's it.

I am using u-boot checked out from git a few minutes
ago, plus a set of 9 patches to enable sata support from
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2012-February/118523.html

I guess I might have used mkimage incorrectly.  I will have to try
flash-kernel.

--
Len Sorensen