Re: ARM kernel cross compilation issues for iMX53

+++ Phil Endecott [2012-03-18 20:49 +0000]:
> Mike Thompson <mpthompson <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > seems have some known incompatibilities regarding how the UARTs are
> > clocked with older kernels.
>
> Yes.  I'm still using 2.6.35 because of this, though I am now aware of how I
> could fix it if I needed to.  See the section "Freescale's git repository" at
> http://chezphil.org/tvcomputer/kernel.html .
>
> The real problem here is a lack of communication.  Nowhere is there e.g. a
> "news" or "blog" type page where someone posts important stuff like "we've
> decided to change the clocking because $reason in version $version, and you'll
> need to keep u-boot and the kernel in sync because of this; if you don't like
> this the changes are $here and $there and you can/cannot revert them
> with/without breaking other subsystems than the UART".  Because this isn't done
> in public, you, I, and a dozen other people waste hours trying to guess what has
> happened - time that we could be spending doing something useful, like fixing
> bugs in Freescale's kernel code.
>
> </rant>
>
> It would be nice to imagine that some of the other platforms were better.  I
> doubt it, unfortunately.

Some of the other platforms _are_ better (TI panda/beagle for
example). Freescale have historically been particularly useless on the
mainlining-in-a-useful-way, or telling-anyone-anything fronts.

As Marcin said, in many ways it's easier to let Linaro take the strain
here as at least Freescale were smart enough to join up so their
boards are supported. So we can all benefit from the Linaro
kernel/platform team working out which magic set of stuff actually
works and save us all doing it individually. The problem with Linaro
is that in practice they support Ubuntu or Android so if you preferred
anything else their outputs are rather less useful than they might be,
but using the Linaro kernels with a Debian rootfs should be fairly
painless.

Also kernel upstreaming in general is somewhat help back by the major
reorganisation and consolidation going on with comon clock work, pin
mux stuff, device tree etc. So it'll probably be a while before a plain
upstream (and thus Debian) kernel will work well.

This has all combined/conspired to produce a long period of
breakage/awkwardness on this board.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/