Re: Mach64 cards work with SX164 and Debian - Only kernel 2.4 makes trouble

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 09:05:29AM +0100, Fabrice Haberer-Proust wrote:

> > If possible, see if the server has "verbose" mode, maybe it will output
> > a few more messages that might give us a clue.
>
> The Xserver(1) man page says something about an -audit option, set by
> default to 1 and that should "additionally reports all successful
> connections and disconnect". But I don't know where I have to pass this
> option.

Well, I meant more along the lines of adding "-verbose" to the command
line, ie "startx -- -verbose".

BTW, I've duplicated this problem on an LX164 under RH 7.0 with the
Mach64 server - works with 2.2.17 kernel, fails with 2.4.1... :-\

And I tried using RH 7.1 XFree86 3.3.6 with their installed kernel
(2.4.3-based), and it did exactly the same.

And the verbose output doesn't help...

> > Otherwise, you may have to go to XFree86 4.x to get it working with
> > the latest kernels. That's not bad, just a bit of work...
>
> It would be an option. I will look if I find (probably unofficial) Debian
> packages of XFree 4.

You may have worse luck with that... :-(

I also tried the XFree86 4.0.3 that comes in RH 7.1, and it crashes the
machine back to SRM console when starting the server. That was with a
2.4.x kernel, not sure what it might do with 2.2.x...

However, the latest XFree86  CVS sources (soon-to-be 4.2.0) don't crash.
but they only support my card (an old GX with 2MB memory) at 8 bits, ie
not 16 or 24.

I hate to say it, but without being able to fix the problem XFree86
3.3.6 has with 2.4.x kernels, I see only two options if you really must
go to a 2.4 kernel:

1. replace the ATI card with something that does work with 2.4 and 3.3.6;
   this is likely to include older cards and NOT newer cards

2. replace the ATI card with something that does work with 2.4 and 4.x.x;
   this is likely to include newer cards, but NOT older cards

Good luck.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K15         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com