Re: Mach64 cards work with SX164 and Debian - Only kernel 2.4 makes trouble

Hello,

I guess that you spent a lot of time to find a solution to this problem,
and I would like to thank you very much for it.

I will follow your suggestion: first compile and install XFree86 4.x, and
then buy a new graphic card.

> if you really must go to a 2.4 kernel

In fact, I miss only one important thing with a 2.2.x kernel: a
journalised files systems. Currently, I use a 2.2.16 kernel patched with a
quite old Reiser FS, which is very unstable: when I mount a reiserfs
partition, the KDE crashes about one time a day, which is unacceptable.
Newer version of Reiser FS are only maintened for 2.4.x kernels, and it
seems to be the same with JFS, XFS and EXT3.

Fabrice Haberer-Proust

Proust Media
Kerngasse 3/1
79576 Weil am Rhein