Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

From: "Jason White" <jasonw@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au>
To: <debian-accessibility@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 8:58 PM
Subject: Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 05:59:57PM -0800, Tom Masterson wrote:
I may be strange but except in emergencies I don't even look at speech.
If I can't use a braille display (alva 3 series) I rarely even look at it
as a fully viable option.  Speech alone would be okay for a basic install
but I find braille faster and it doesn't require a soundcard.

I use braille alone on my laptop, and braille and speech together on my
desktop which has a DECTALK Express hardware synthesizer. However, I rely
predominantly on the braille for all of my detailed work (e.g., writing and
editing documents).

Well, again, please don't take this as a criticism but I don't get the point. What does the fact that you use braille say about the accessibility of the debian installer? What are we to take from that in terms of deciding on a direction for the installer?

If braille already works fine. Well, that is obviously good. But we're not thinking everybody should just get a braille display, are we?