Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

Jason White <jasonw@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 05:59:57PM -0800, Tom Masterson wrote:
>> I may be strange but except in emergencies I don't even look at speech.
>> If I can't use a braille display (alva 3 series) I rarely even look at it
>> as a fully viable option.  Speech alone would be okay for a basic install
>> but I find braille faster and it doesn't require a soundcard.
>
> I use braille alone on my laptop, and braille and speech together on my
> desktop which has a DECTALK Express hardware synthesizer. However, I rely
> predominantly on the braille for all of my detailed work (e.g., writing and
> editing documents).

You two nicely demonstrate the point that I was trying to make in my posting.
Those people that have the ability to use braille output are typically not
as interested in speech feedback.  However, for people in countries with a
backward social system (like the USA or other third world countries) that do
not have access to braille displays, we will need some support for speech only
output.
I hope the people that rely on that mode of operation will step up to help
implement what they need, instead of claiming "we" don't care enough about
them.

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang@db.debian.org