Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 12:14:04AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 15 February 2007 23:53, Gilles Casse wrote:
> > Today, in principle using a Speakup enabled kernel + Speechd-Up +
> > SpeechDispatcher + eSpeak or in user space, Yasr + emacspeak server +
> > eSpeak, a text based dialog might be correctly spoken.
>
> However, we understand that the speakup patches have never been properly
> ported to current 2.6 kernels and that there were security issues with
> the speakup patches. That is why speakup support was dropped from the
> installer when we dropped support for 2.4 kernels.

I've recently recognized that we no longer have a speakup-enabled
kernel, and I'm willing to work on the kernel team side to bring it
back for Lenny. It looks like Ubuntu has it working with their
kernels, so we should be able to do it too.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC