Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 05:59:57PM -0800, Tom Masterson wrote:
> I may be strange but except in emergencies I don't even look at speech.
> If I can't use a braille display (alva 3 series) I rarely even look at it
> as a fully viable option.  Speech alone would be okay for a basic install
> but I find braille faster and it doesn't require a soundcard.

I use braille alone on my laptop, and braille and speech together on my
desktop which has a DECTALK Express hardware synthesizer. However, I rely
predominantly on the braille for all of my detailed work (e.g., writing and
editing documents).

I think the development community associated with Linux and braille displays
is very strong and that, as Mario said, it is up to those who rely mostly on
speech output to keep working on solutions in that area. Emacspeak is a
wonderful speech output system which I have used extensively in the past and
continue to use today, but it isn't suitable for an installer.