Re: Remote kernel debugging an Amiga; was: "BUG: soft lockup" on A1200

Hi Charlie,

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 7:26 PM Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR)
<charlie@scenergy.dfmk.hu> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2019, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > I think I researched at some point, and in case of fatal errors in the
> > > process, there was a way to expose an AmigaDOS command line over
> > > serial too. As a last-resort solution, or you'd at least get some news
> > > that something has failed, and don't wait for it to boot into the
> > > other kernel.
> >
> > "newshell aux:" is your friend.
>
> Indeed, thanks. I remembered it was something simple. But there was also
> some mess about matching serial.device (hence AUX:) defaults rates up the
> high bps rates we used in MorphOS debug later, and I think the original
> serial.device prefs didn't allow to set it up to 115200? Maybe? Anyway,
> whatever it was, it's definitely solvable, we just never bothered beyond
> the idea.

I just use the default of 9600.  You don't want to go much faster for the
Linux console anyway. Poor unbuffered serial port with high-latency Linux
OS (compared to AmigaOS ;-).

When the old hard drive died, I lost my Lilo setup, and settled for "newshell
aux:".  It was already sufficient hard to transfer the data to a newer +4 GiB
hard drive.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds