Re: Aranym installation, was Re: Centris 650 Debian 10 SID Installation

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Forking hundreds of shell instances for doing simple things like string
> substitution isn't efficient. It's a brain-dead design.

That was a limitation of the shell that was fixed over a decade before
systemd came along. I could not find a weaker justification for tossing
out sysvinit if I tried.

> Anyone who thinks that sysvinit is the original Unix design has never
> used an original Unix. sysvinit has always been a hack.

This really is a straw man. No one claimed that sysvinit was anything more
than the lesser evil.

Anyway, attacking/defending sysvinit is boring. Far more useful is to
consider the design decisions made by Ubuntu in upstart, by Apple in
lunchd, by Sun in SMF, by Gentoo in OpenRC, etc. That's interesting
because the comparison with systemd tells us something about how Red Hat
operates.