Re: Centris 650 Debian 10 SID Installation

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019, Finn Thain wrote:

> Digging a bit deeper, we find this:
>
> /target # cat /etc/default/keyboard
> # KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE
>
> # Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.
>
> XKBMODEL="macintosh_old"
> XKBLAYOUT="us"
> XKBVARIANT=""
> XKBOPTIONS=""
>
> BACKSPACE="guess"
>

> I found the man page here:
> https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/keyboard-configuration/keyboard.5.en.html
>
> It turned out that changing $XKBMODEL to "pc105" didn't actually help
> when I booted into /target. So I've no idea how to fix this.

The above config change does help when I run "setupcon" afterwards. The
serial console is needed for this. That way it is possible to finish the
installation using the framebuffer console (i.e. mirror select, popcon,
tasksel, etc.).

After rebooting into the newly installed rootfs, keyboard-setup runs again
and causes the same problem. But during startup the console keymap gets
mangled regardless of the settings in /etc/default/keyboard, which means I
have to run "setupcon" on the serial console after every restart. I was
able to work around that with "systemctl mask keyboard-setup".