Re: Aranym installation, was Re: Centris 650 Debian 10 SID Installation

On 6/11/19 3:12 AM, Finn Thain wrote:

> Using Aranym, I booted the kernel binary from the 2019-05-24 ISO with
> these parameters:
> debian-installer/framebuffer=false initcall_blacklist=dh_init
>
> I found that the arrow keys stopped working after I selected the American
> English keymap (this step can be skipped). It turns out that ctrl-P and
> ctrl-N are substitutes for up-arrow and down-arrow keys.

I'm not aware of this issue and haven't encountered it last time I tried.

> I also found that the old installer bug which prevents CD-ROM drive
> detection on Atari is still there. I had to spawn a shell to run these
> commands:
>
> # modprobe pata-falcon
> # modprobe isofs
> # mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom
>
> Then the "Detect and mount CD-ROM" step then worked. (You can use
> falconide and /dev/hdX instead.)

Yes, this is known and I currently don't know how to fix this. Again, if someone
knows how to make the installer load the modules, please let me know. I assume
the problem is that there is no autodetection here so udev can't load the
modules automatically.

> I had to select "no network card" after network detection failed. There's
> probably some issue with my Aranym config; I never resolved this.

Yes, it's an Aranym configuration issue. But I keep on forgetting how to fix this.

> With those workarounds I was able to "install the base system".
>
> As with the Mac installation, the console-setup package changed the
> framebuffer console font and mangled the window borders. You can see the
> terminus font problem in this screenshot:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2019/06/msg00019.html

Again, use a serial console. That's much easier.

> The next steps in the installation ("configure the package manager",
> "select and install software") seemingly aren't possible without a network
> connection, so I skipped to "proceed without bootloader" which completed
> successfully.

Yes. This step sets up the download repositories. This needs a network
connection, of course.

> I was able to use the installed initrd and kernel to boot the new system
> once I figured out that root=/dev/nfhdXpY. But that isn't going to work
> outside of Aranym.
>
> The system should be bootable using root=/dev/sdXY but this doesn't work
> because the initrd fails to load the modules (pata-falcon, atari_scsi
> etc.)

You will need to add the drivers manually to /etc/modules.

> I found that the installer didn't list any modules in
> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz