Re: Aranym installation, was Re: Centris 650 Debian 10 SID Installation

On 6/20/19 5:31 PM, Finn Thain wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2019, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>

>> I'm just concerned that people make wrong assumptions because they don't
>> understand the background behind certain decisions and issues, e.g. the
>> problem with the separate /usr.
>>

> Don't be. Readers can make assumptions at their own risk, as always.
>
> Besides, those who have "left the reservation" and think the wrong things
> surely haven't read the Official Documentation. They are doomed anyway.
>
> ;-)

Just my two cents.

It's neither right nor wrong for people to make assumptions based on
their prior experience.  The link that Adrian sent on a different thread
regarding a separate /usr was instructive:

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken/

I now understand that the latest trend is that a separate /usr is not
recommended.  And it's clear that most major Linux distributions have
become dependent on systemd.  That's neither good nor bad; the GPL will
allow people to do whatever they want.  I have to say that I was a
little troubled by the supremely smug attitude in the above link.

But it's all good.  There's an active community (and Linux
distributions) that are still working to maintain sysvinit.

I was recently told by a Toyota salesman, while shopping for a new car,
that Toyota doesn't make many cars with a manual transmission anymore,
and I "may just have to buy one with an automatic transmission".  I
responded that Toyota not making manual transmission cars doesn't mean I
won't buy a car, it just means I won't buy a Toyota.

I won't rehash the systemd / sysvinit arguments here; it's clear the
direction that most distributions are taking.  People who want the
older, simpler way, especially for older systems, or who like to
maintain some compatibility with the BSD universe, will be able to find
a way.

-Stan