Re: signage

On 08/20/2014 12:40 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 11:33:53PM -0700, tony mancill wrote:
>>> We don't have language preference data in summit, so this would be just IRC
>>> nick + name.
>
>>> I should be able to do a dump of this tomorrow.  What format do you want?
>>> CSV?
>
>>> Whatever script we're using for generating the printable files should
>>> probably also be integrated into summit so that the frontdesk has a way to
>>> print these on demand, right?
>
>> I don't see a problem with CSV for the format, and I think it would be
>> helpful to go ahead and generate one.
>
> Here's the file.  Everyone registering after this point will have to be
> dealt with via ad-hoc badge printing at the venue.

Thank you!  I have written a script to wrap Matto's script and made a
very minor tweak to Matto's script, since it's possible to run into 3
participants in a row who did not specify a nickname.

> (Thinking out loud: do we want people to be able to list company affiliation
> on their badges?)

Not in my opinion.

>> I don't know whether anyone is preparing a script (or if there's an
>> existing script to work from).  My understanding is that Matto is
>> working on the template, but that this is is distinct from the script.
>
> I think it very much needs to be a script.

Yes, we definitely have that now.

> Ideally, it will be something integrated into summit, that will let us print
> badges for one person at a time.
>

> But as a baseline, the script Matto has provided now, which lets you print
> three badges at a time, is a good start.  It just means people have to wait
> for their badges until a batch of three people have shown up.

Well, the name badge card stock has 6 slots on it and as soon as you
remove 2 for a badge, it will no longer feed into the printer anyway, so
3 at a time it has to be.  We can buy extra card stock if we need to.

tony