Re: [Debconf-team] Money, and the spirit of DebConf

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 8:12 AM, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:

> Therefore, my suggestion is: split the way we look at things in two:
>
>   1. there's raising money, and as long as we don't sell out,
>      overcommit, lose character, give sponsors too much control, or
>      alienate sponsors, we should be fine.
>
>   2. and there are the events, and we should strive to keep them
>      "natural" to DebConf and not fall for the possibility of
>      spending more money than necessary to deliver to our attendees
>      a memorable event in the spirit of DebConf.

Just to reinforce this point: I feel there is strong consensus among
the local team on this point.

>   2. we cannot have too much money if we know how to spend it.
> [...]
> And I believe we are well on the way towards (2.), without throwing
> money out of the door, but this is really DPL terrain and we should
> not venture into it just now or here.

To also reinforce this point: DebConf e.V. is a Trusted Organization.
As such, Debian Auditors have access to our books and the legal entity
holding the money sees itself bound to the best interest of the
project. An Auditor and a SPI board member are founding members of
DebConf e.V.
Worst thing that can happen is that we end up with a surplus which is
fed back into a future DebConf or Debian directly.

Richard