Re: [Debconf-team] RFC: (Hopefully) Last draft of the dc15 sponsorship brochure

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 05:31:25PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 09:29:46PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
>
>> What LCA does every morning is IMHO a great addition to the
>> conference: the orga team meets and then the whole conference
>> assembles for a 20 minute session, when the orga team can relay
>> information from the venue, share details about such events like the
>> conference dinner or the day trip, or make all kinds of other
>> announcements. This is not only useful to the organisers and front
>> desk, because attendees do not always read their e-mail in time.
>> This also serves to bring together everyone, which has a multitude
>> of benefits.

Yup, that sounds good.

>> At DC14, for instance, having another session after dinner was IMHO
>> great, because it reunited everyone, while previously, people would
>> have split into groups before dinner and then that's the way you'd
>> spend your evening, because you didn't know where the others were,
>> let alone have a chance of randomly run into someone you always
>> wanted to meet but didn't know about yet.

But on this point I *cannot* disagree more strongly. AIUI the
post-dinner slot was not a deliberate choice by the DC14 team and was
essentially forced on us by the inflexibility/infelicities of the
catering folks?

An extra session tacked on the end of the day *after* many people have
already left the venue to go for dinner spoils the day in multiple
ways. The poor folks scheduled to give their talk in that slot end up
with small/worse audiences due to people just not coming back, or
coming back late, or nodding off in talks. For people who might want
to do something different for dinner it ruins their choices: struggle
to get somewhere, eat and back in a limited time-frame, or only leave
the venue very late after that talk and get food late.

Thanks for the reminder about this, I hadn't (yet) got around to
saying this to feedback@...

>FWIW there were several times during DC14 that I found myself wishing for
>exactly this.  So +1 for fixing this in DC15.

+1 also. It's something I've made a point of doing in other events
like the Cambridge mini-conf too - make sure there is a spot for
announcements every morning at the start, plus potentially even after
lunch too. It's invaluable.

Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back