Re: [Debconf-team] RFC: (Hopefully) Last draft of the dc15 sponsorship brochure

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 5:29 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor
<dkg@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
> On 09/10/2014 11:09 PM, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:
>> Also, I don't like the idea of publicizing the raffle as a motivating
>> factor to attend DC events. I can't find words now to express this, but
>> it sounds to me a kind of legitimation of laziness, DebConf officially
>> tolerating the fact that a small chance to win a random gadget is more
>> motivating to attendees (who're mostly sponsored) than the opportunity
>> to join a presencial discussion relevant for the project.
>
> Thanks for bringing this up, Tiago.  I share your sentiment -- i'd
> rather that the raffle is done at a time when people are free and that
> explicitly doesn't conflict with scheduled activities, rather than use
> it as "bait" to convince people to come participate in an event.  If
> people are at an event just because they wanted to win a prize, i'm not
> sure that actually contributes much to the event itself.

This is a possible, if somewhat negative, interpretation. Please note
that we're not telling sponsors "this is to get people out of bed as
we are all extremely lazy" and I don't think this is even implied in
the slightest.

TTBOMK, the rough consensus is to have a short(!) session between
breakfast and the first scheduled sessions. This would allow staff to
mention anything of importance in case people miss reading their
email. Doing the raffle during this time seems to be a natural choice
as it does _not_ overlap and thus allows people to attend. The fact
that this also creates an incentive to attend is only positive, imo.

Richard