Re: [Debconf-team] [Debian-portland-soc] [DC14] Portland team: historical cost comparison

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:18:11AM -0700, Allison Randal wrote:
> On 03/19/2013 09:29 AM, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > Allison Randal dijo [Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 06:24:11PM -0700]:
> >>
> >> Aiming for an approximate average on flight price, figuring US/Canada
> >> flights could be as low as $300, while international flights could be
> >> $2000 or higher. (Numbers from past years will be helpful in these
> >> projections too.)
> >
> > I expected flight prices to be quite lower. Still, for DebConf10 (I
> > expect numbers to be closest to what we had at New York), 88 out of
> > 306 attendees (marked as reconfirmed and arrived) were from within the
> > USA (and the second most popular country was "not selected" ;-) ). I
> > was surprised to see that, for July, ticket prices from Paris and
> > Frankfurt are at ~US$1500, quite higher than what I expected.
> >
> > This following query does *not* mean the requested travel sponsorship
> > was fulfilled, but requested, and that the person attended, and was
> > labeled as "the amount needed for you to travel" (need_travel_cost):
> >
> >  acronym |          avg
> > ---------+-----------------------
> >  dc7     |  574.9236000000000000
> >  dc8     | 1070.1224489795918367
> >  dc9     |  435.2346428571428571
> >  dc10    |  819.6127500000000000
> >  dc11    |  612.6257142857142857
> >  dc12    |  981.0483870967741935
>
> Ah, excellent! I'll go with $800 for approximate average flight
> sponsorship cost, since New York is geographically closest. It's
> possible that we'd get more local applications that lower the average,
> or more international applications that raise the average, but it's a
> good first approximation.

Note that NYC has better (much more direct) connectivity especially from
europe and I would estimate the average to be at least 50-150$ higher
than for NYC as connecting flights have to be factored in etc.

Michael