Re: [Debconf-team] [Debian-portland-soc] [DC14] Portland team: historical cost comparison

Steve Langasek dijo [Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 05:49:26PM -0700]:
> > > For 200 people @ $20/day for food, $16,000 comes out to 4 days.  But that
> > > covers only the days talks are running, and we probably need to figure one
> > > additional day of food to cover the arrival/departure days, as well as
> > > breakfast on the day trip day and some costs (TBD) for food on the day trip.
>
> > Yes, that's the 4-day estimate from the "Food" tab. I'll change to a
> > 7-day estimate instead, just to be on the safe side. Though, with so
> > many good cheap food options nearby, will people want to be eating at
> > the cafeteria for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day? I guess they
> > might if it's free.
>
> Probably not - we can mine the data from past conferences to get a better
> model for what percentage of attendees will be eating the cafeteria food at
> any given time.  (We'll want this anyway for purposes of giving estimated
> headcounts to the cafeteria staff.)

Right. and for this, I would look at similar cities - e.g. I expect
the Portland food offer (and university cafeteria quality) to be much
closer to New York or Edinburgh more than to most of our other past
venues.