Re: [Debconf-team] [Debian-portland-soc] [DC14] Portland team: historical cost comparison

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 03:45:07PM -0700, Allison Randal wrote:
> > I'm not sure how the totals are arrived on the Comparison page; the numbers
> > look low to me even without including the venue and other non-per-person
> > costs.  Can you elaborate on the math here?

> Venue rental for 4 days plus food for 4 days, divided by total attendees.

Ah!

> > For 200 people @ $20/day for food, $16,000 comes out to 4 days.  But that
> > covers only the days talks are running, and we probably need to figure one
> > additional day of food to cover the arrival/departure days, as well as
> > breakfast on the day trip day and some costs (TBD) for food on the day trip.

> Yes, that's the 4-day estimate from the "Food" tab. I'll change to a
> 7-day estimate instead, just to be on the safe side. Though, with so
> many good cheap food options nearby, will people want to be eating at
> the cafeteria for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day? I guess they
> might if it's free.

Probably not - we can mine the data from past conferences to get a better
model for what percentage of attendees will be eating the cafeteria food at
any given time.  (We'll want this anyway for purposes of giving estimated
headcounts to the cafeteria staff.)

> I'll add a separate tab for the Day Trip when we have estimates for that.

Sounds good.

> > The room total I can't reverse-engineer at all.  $9840/$28 -> 351.43
> > person-nights.  While not everyone who attends DebConf has sponsored
> > accomodation costs, 351.43 person-nights @ 6 nights -> 58.57 people.  So I'm
> > not sure what's going on there.  :-)

> Those are venue room totals from the "Rooms" tab, not lodging room
> totals. I've changed the spreadsheet to consistently use "venue" for
> session/plenary rooms to be clearer. :)

> > And for consistency with https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/PriceComparison, the
> > "total spent" should at least include the known venue costs.

> Yes. Do we need to include lodging rooms in the total base price? That
> is, are we paying any fixed up-front amount for lodging, or is lodging
> paid by attendees as they register (or once we decide if it's possible
> to sponsor travel/lodging)?

I don't know that there's any fixed up-front price, but sponsored attendance
at DebConf includes both food and accomodation.  So for the big picture of
"how much money does DebConf spend", this is very relevant.